26 / 09 / 2013 - PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE
PART 1 - WHY RESEARCH?
- What’s going on in field and to find out about current issues / practices / technologies.
- To find out why it’s going on and context of piece - consumption is only way that impact can be understood.
- Work and decision making is then better informed.
PART 2 - TYPES OF RESEARCH
- Primary and secondary research.
- Primary research is gathering new / unmediated data - surveys / questionnaires / interviews / tests.
- Can be split up into Qualitative (descriptions / observations) and Quantitative (information that can be measured).
- Secondary research is information that has already been gathered and interpreted by someone else.
PART 3 - SEMINAR PREPARATION TASK
Identify 3 contemporary / alive practitioners who’s work attracts / repulses / interests / engages me. Have to source following information about each designer / example work:
- Medium used
- Audience / consumer
Keep a record of all source material used for bibliography.